cat_cetera: (Default)
[personal profile] cat_cetera
(cross posted in [livejournal.com profile] dressdiaries)

The new Janet Arnold has a few details of embroidered night caps from the late 16th century, including a quote from a contemporary observer that the gentlemen of the court have taken to wearing them during the day on the pretext of some imaginary infirmity. I had picked up this pre-embroidered fabric quite a while ago because it looks pseudo-blackworked and I thought it might be useful for something. This seemed like a good project to try with it.

Process and pictures :
The pattern is a fairly simple matter of four panels that are joined at the bottom - I already had a wool hat like this, so first I cut out pieces based on the existing hat and stitched them together. Since this fabric is much lighter, the starting pattern was too big, so I did some pinning and adjusting until the pieces fit better in the lighter fabric. This led to four separate panels, rather than four pieces joined at the bottom.

Since I wasn't going to be lining the hat, I sewed the pieces together with french seams to make sure that there wouldn't be any scratchy pieces or sequins (spangles) right against my head:

Emobethan Hat #1

Unfortunately, the top points of the four pieces did not quite close when sewn together, leaving an open spot at the top of the hat:

Emobethan Cap - French Seams

Since I was sewing by hand, and on a tight time frame, I did not want to rip out all of the seams to curve them in more at the top, so I left them in and sewed a regular seam with the proper curve:

Emobethan Cap - French Seams (fixed)

The brim is a straight strip of fabric. I sewed it on by french seam so that when the brim was turned up, as shown in the pictures in Janet Arnold, the seam wouldn't show. When I tried it on it showed signs of not staying turned up in quite the intended manner, so I understitched the french seam to the part of the cap hidden by the brim I turned under the outer edge of the brim and whip stitched it to finish the edge, then added some braid I have had kicking around for a while:

Emobethan Cap - Brim Detail

The finished hat with brim turned up:

Emobethan Cap - finished

I model the cap:

Elizabethan Night Cap
From:
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
User
Account name:
Password:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
Subject:
HTML doesn't work in the subject.

Message:

 
Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.

Profile

cat_cetera: (Default)
cat_cetera

May 2011

S M T W T F S
1234567
89 1011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 25th, 2017 08:31 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios